The objective of the “Words are Stones“ project is to combat racism and discrimination in their online expression of hate speech by equipping young social media strategists/managers, bloggers, journalists, educators and teachers, youtubers and young people in general with the competences necessary to recognize and act against such human rights violations.
The aspiration of the project is to engage with young social media strategists/managers, bloggers, online activities, youtubers in order to debate and take action for human rights in online space in 8 EU countries.
WORDS ARE STONES wants to step up to prosecute instances of online hate speech and cooperating with IT companies and the media to combat manifestly illegal hate speech and promote counter-narratives emanating from civil society by:
- Organising activities able to support civil society in developing counter-narratives online.
- Organising activities able to support media literacy through training and data dissemination and sensitise the media to promote diversity and tolerance.
- The general objective of the project is to combat racism and discrimination in their online expression of hate speech by equipping young social media strategists/managers, bloggers, online activitists, youtubers…and young people in general with the competences necessary to recognize and act against such human rights violations.
Central to the project’s philosophy is the idea that online space is public space – human rights apply there as much in the rest of society. This objective, being the project implemented in Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Romania, Spain, Hungary, Czech Rep, Lithuania will impact in countries experiencing first-hand situation of hate speech due to their population composition and where the political approach and actions toward (online) hate speech are different. So, the achievement of this objective will contribute to the creation of a EU network in order to foster the international cooperation in the field and to promote a continuous exchange of best practices.
In particular, project activities will be:
- The organisation of a train the trainers course in Italy for young social media strategists/managers, bloggers, online activities, youtubers and its replication in each participating country
- The organization of a “Youth media campaign” with on/off line local activities. Materials produced will serve as basis for the “WORDS ARE STONES hate speech award”, a European celebration moment through which it is possible to report and vote the best cases of hate speech management and the best conduct of internet users for a more inclusive internet.
Activities at EU level
- In 2018, workshops and training against hate speech for young young social media strategists/managers, bloggers, online activities, youtubers
- In 2019, Youth media campaign with online and off line local activities
Download the Words Are Stones informative Flyer!
WaS related documents:Here, you can find our team’s article on the project and its mission, both in English and Hungarian
Here, you can find the Contest’s rules of participation!